View Single Post
Old 05-21-2020, 08:42 AM

My father years ago was basically like Andy Griffith. Was chief of police. Everybody liked him. Police years ago where part of the community.
Now a days if they use common sense they are accused of profiling.
Stupid, excessive laws where only enforced if the officer thought it was benefiting the community.
They wore blue instead of black. Revolvers where carried in a flap holster. They didn't want to look like a army that was occupying an area.
The Mayor was implying to my dad that since they were not issuing many tickets that maybe they didn't need so many police officers. So then they started issuing warnings to show that they were working.
Then the town came up with an idea to punish them and to save money. They replaced one of the patrol cars with a police bike.
It was a fancy Kawasaki 1100 if I remember right. They all refused to drive it. They thought it was something a kid would ride on.
When I see modern police on bicycles and flac jackets,dressed in black,gun belts etc I just shake my head because I know what my dad would have thought.
I guess times are different now. There was no real crime years ago. Drugs like meth where not around.People where different and I guess the police where to.