View Single Post
Old 04-08-2020, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewski Canuck View Post
On our second air tight stove after 30 years of having a wall tent, or 2, or 3 actually!

Went from a 20" that worked great for years til it started to burn out, and have moved up to a 24" now.

You can build a smaller fire, you CAN'T build a larger stove in the bush.

We were in -20 C with the smaller stove, and even though we had amazing dry birch, the back of the tent was cold.

Space is a premium, as you will want some wood in the tent, so go with a vertical wood stove, not a horizontal.

Make sure your stove pipe is tall enough outside the tent (2 foot over peak at least), and put a damper in the first section from the stove. Get a spark screen on the cap to save the tent from embers. use stove wire in at least 2 directions from the cap to stabilize the chimney if the inevitable wind.

Put about 1 - 2 inches of sand in the bottom of the stove before starting to use it.

Finally, if you can get some lump coal, it will make life easier at night, as the coal will keep burning well after the firewood, and then its just a matter of throwing more wood on. If you use coal, you need a good sand layer to stop the burn through of the bottom.

Drewski
All great points.

When I had my wall tent, I used all of your tips, and also brought a 2 foot square concrete sidewalk pad to place the stove on for obvious reasons.

BW