View Single Post
Old 03-28-2020, 06:22 PM

Default Rock and Hard place

Been through the ringer on this one today, yeesh. In one FB group I posted (mind you, this was yesterday before the announcement), I got 100% support when I asked fellow outdoorsmen their opinion about going fishing tomorrow (Sunday).

Switch to a different FB group today, yikes, was called selfish and immature for even contemplating it.

Lots of strong opinions on both sides. It does come down to a personal choice, as long as the government is giving us that choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isopod View Post
Note that it is only the provincial parks that are closed, and people should respect that.

But fishing is not closed. If health officials close fishing entirely, then so be it, but that has not been done. As long as you are just going with those you already live with and keeping distance from others then it shouldn't be any more dangerous to yourself or others than going out for a walk, probably less so because it's hard not to pass near strangers when out for a walk, at least until the snow melts.

We are not in total lock-down. If they deem that necessary, then so be it, but officials are so far not saying that. If you want to take more stringent measures yourself, that is your right. I personally won't be going fishing anytime soon, but that is because of a stubborn arm injury that is very slow to heal. If they close fishing in general by the time May long comes around, then I will respect that. Otherwise I will follow the guidance of health officials, who so far have not put any restrictions on fishing, just on access to provincial parks and recreation sites.
This IS correct, as Jason Nixon himself (or whoever runs his FB page) replied to me on a post. He said they are not closing fishing and spring hunting for now, but, he did take care to mention that the Covid19 situation is evolving rapidly. I choose to read between the lines on that one and predict that suspension of fishing and hunting is coming sooner, rather than later. For the time being, he clearly implied fishing is still an option today...

...except of course everyone and their dog is telling people to stay home.

Quote:
Ladies and gentleman, some of you may know who I am and some may not. I've been here forever and am also an ER physician.

1. Respect the new restrictions -- now is not the time to look for loopholes to go fishing. I love it as much as you do but don't plan on it for the next while. I know this sucks but after all, it is only fishing.

2. Just because you currently can access some areas via non provincial access points does not mean that you should. Again, respect this virus, this is no joke.

3. Comparing park closures to liquor stores is ridiculous. The reality is that acute alcohol withdrawal can be FATAL for heavy users. Many of you will not know that. The absolute last thing ICU's currently need is an influx of withdrawal patients requiring ventilators and critical care. This is why the liquor stores are open.

Please stay home if at all possible and let us do our jobs. The fish aren't going anywhere. Think of it as a nice break for them. Do go outdoors and get fresh air albeit respecting physical distancing. It is easy to gripe about these restrictions but not so easy to choose who gets a ventilator if we fail to slow the spread of this contagion.

Stay safe.

highwood
I too will join the chorus of Albertans thank-you for all the work you are doing. Nurses too, all front line workers.

In the end, it comes to what your individual perspective is on your principles and what is practical.

I had everything planned tomorrow; the extra jerry cans of gas, the port-a-potty, food, water, total overkill for a solo day trip. Practically speaking, it would have been easy, almost too easy, to logistically execute a trip where I don't see, talk to, or come within 1 km of another human being. That's what's annoying about these ministerial orders; they are so half-arsed. Just call it and be done with it, don't tempt me, when I know how to "get lost" unlike the dumb idiots in Canmore and Elbow Falls.

It would be so easy to go, no one would know, no one would notice.

But I won't.

Because there is also the spirit of the principle in play here, and that is, people, including Highwood are asking me not too. Fair enough. And no, I don't think that earns me an effin hero cookie.

The real heroes wear scrubs, not waders.

Hunker down time.