View Single Post
Old 02-18-2020, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rena0040 View Post
Today was definitely a trout bite day. At times I couldn't even get my hook to the bottom to even try for perch, when I did get down there they really didn't want to move more than a couple inches up.
I attached a couple pics, average size for perch was 8-8.5 inches and trout 18-20 inches.
A great fishery to have a few blocks from home.
Nice fish. Since you are out fishing a lot also, can you please pass on to others that the trout survive best if not out of the water for more than 30 seconds. My rule of thumb is I take a breath and if I need to breathe, so do the trout. While they swim away, often they die from anoxia.

I saw a couple guys a few weeks ago pull their trout out of the hole onto the ice (freezing cold air freezes gills and can also cause death), then look for a camera. Get set up, hold up said trout and drop a couple times, snap a couple pics and then drop head first down the hole. Trout was out of the water for over two minutes and will surely die.

Education is key to keeping the trout fishing catch rates healthy. The more we all help each other the better.

My biggest problem is fishing small hooks and light line and catching perch then hook a big rainbow. Gotta hand line them so carefully once near the hole.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin