View Single Post
Old 01-19-2020, 10:59 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnguy View Post
I haven’t seen today’s game or highlights, but didn’t see any over celebration in any of the yesterday’s three goals. Then again, the guy is excited scoring a goal as if it is his first in the league. After 15 years, I should add. After almost 700 goals. That’s passion.

Meh... I don’t see lack of championships as his personal shortfall. No one scored more goals since he came to the NHL. I believe this is true for both, re gular season and playoffs. It’s not his fault they aren’t winning where it really counts. Same goes for the Russian national team. Can’t blame him for lack of winning. He is always first to show up when the Motherland calls. I don’t recall him missing a world championship. That’s after the regular season (he doesn’t miss too many games either) and post season (though this one isn’t that long most of the time for the Caps). If I remember correctly, he only missed 1 game in his first three seasons and that was because his grandmother passed away (weird that I remember it, but for some reason it sticks out in my memory). And I think he only missed one game in the last three seasons plus this one. That one was the suspension for refusing to participate in the all-star event. He will miss another one this season for the same reason.

There is also a reason he was the MVP in the playoffs when they won the cup. He was the difference. His presence was actually the difference maker. I remember watching him on the bench. He was also the MVP in the regular season a few times. There is also a reason for that.

Anyway, my point being, you can’t blame him for the lack of championships won in a team sport. It isn’t fair. There are amazing players in the history of this sport who never touched the Cup.

He also hits! And can take a hit. I wonder how he fairs on the hits stats since he came to the league. I have a feeling somewhere near the top.

Having said all this, he isn’t my favourite Russian player. The favourite is Datsyuk. The guy was all class. Probably the best with the stick in the game.
I agree, Datsyuk was probably the best 2 way player of his time. Most skilled with his stick.
There were a few under rated players through the years. Trottier was another one. Maybe the best skater of his time.