Thread: Elk tactics
View Single Post
Old 10-19-2019, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z7Extreme View Post
I agree with you 100%, you are right and good on you for trying to teach others. I posted almost exactly the same info on a thread here a few years back. But it never decreased the "elk help" threads.. the info is out there for guys to learn if they search for it and want to be serious elk hunters, trouble is they only think about hunting elk for a few weeks of the year during september lol. They couldnt be bothered to put in the dedication, time and effort it takes to better themselves at calling, scouting, physical conditioning or learning elk behaviour. And Im fine with that because all it means is less competition, pressure, and educated elk for me to hunt. I do still share tips and tactics with people that are starting out but only the ones that show enthusiasm and drive. I guess Im a little tired of sharing with people that are going to forget what I said or couldnt be bothered to listen anyways. Thanks for replying to my question, nice to see another guy out there that is as obsessed as I am lol. Shoot straight
I can get where you are coming from. I understand completely. What you fail to realize is the more hunter recruitment= the better chance you and your offspring will have to continue hunting. Teaching rookies should be everyone’s mandate- no exception. If you aren’t taking the time to get people out there and interested- you’ve failed to make sure this incredible past time has a future. It’s a numbers game through and through. Not to mention piles of fun watching newbies succeed- whether on this forum or in person. We need the casual weekend warriors too. I am sorry to jump on you a bit. I am guessing I’m not telling you something you don’t know. Just keep slugging!

OP: great thread. I’ll add a couple pointers as well. These again are private land, prairie tips.

1. Don’t give up. It usually takes about 4-6 years to really get to know an area and where elk circulate.
2. Mark all your sightings on your iHunter app or your paper map. Include date, time of day and direction of travel. I’ve been able to build an amazing visual on my maps from the years of hunting elk. You will see patterns develop.
3. A very underrated aspect (in all big game hunting) is the ability to shoot accurately at longer distances. This takes time to develop as well. Rome wasn’t built in a day. Get out there and shoot from different positions. There is zero sense in having everything dialed in and planned out if you can’t make it count when your reticle is on fur. Know your capabilities and practice practice practice!

There’s so much more. Lots was covered by the OP. I’m eagerly waiting for others to chime in here too