Thread: Hunting spots
View Single Post
Old 08-18-2019, 08:20 PM

Default RE: Hunting Spots

Couple thoughts, from my perspective as a mom and avid hunter anyway, as already noted:

1. I-Hunter is a must (in my opinion)....determine where your crown land boundaries are and it will also show the regs for that wmu, then you can be confident in knowing the regs for where you would like to investigate.
2. Look at google earth in a wmu with the crown land you would like to investigate. We took our kids out with us when they were young (one is now an independent hunter...lol) so we looked for areas that two cut lines intersected, not too far from lease roads so they were walkable with young kids. We did lots of driving/scouting in mornings and evenings to get to know the area, and see what game was around (we were also looking for whitetail at the time). Talk to operators too...they are awesome. Then we would park our truck (a 4x4 will likely be a must this year with how wet it continues to be) and walk in to where the cut lines intersected and "set up". We have used pop up blinds, but don't ever leave them because they will "disappear"....often we would just take in little tripod stools to sit just off the side of the cut line. (adjusted which side etc based on wind) Sometimes we saw critters, sometimes we didn't, but it was a great exercise in excitement of being out there, patience and learning for the kids and us. We have also set up and sat looking over cut blocks....but again, not too far from the truck so other hunters would at least look for your orange...hopefully We have hunted NW of Whitecourt, North and south of Edson and a few other places where there is crown land.
3. As others have said....bring bear spray and remain aware of your surroundings....my husband and daughter were stalked by a cougar to within 20 yards (until they turned and saw the young cougar because everything seemed a little "too quiet") last year....lots of bear sign...we have been fortunate not to have any bear encounters, but there are a lot of them out there....we have not done hunting as I described above by Robb specifically because of the high risk of encountering grizzlies.

Anyway....it would be worthwhile talking to some land owners...they are most often great to talk to, and even if they don't provide access it's great to get to know them.

Good on you for giving this experience to your kids...nothing better...in my opinion. All the best.