View Single Post
Old 07-24-2019, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vance View Post
I really appreciate these detailed and thoughtful comments. Will re-read them tomorrow. The stock will never feel or look the same to me after this process.
The role of heat in introducing the oil into the wood makes sense.
270person, do you mean that once you apply the varnish stripping gel you wrap with foil for 5 min?
I started to type "once you apply the stripper gel do you wrap with foil for 5 minutes?", but deleted that.
Trying to stay above the low road
Vance

Yes re the stripper and foil. I lay out a length of foil long enough to wrap the entire stock, paint it on thick with a brush, then wrap and seal up the foil just to keep it wet. stuff dries quickly. Peel back the foil, use a plastic blade where possible and just wipe off the rest. Stiff bristled toothbrush for the checkering.

Last one had a couple of tiny shiny spots still but a quick sand took them right out.

Start to finish will be roughly 12 - 15 hours work time with a week minimum between steps to dry properly. Like the man in the vid says..."use too much bol and your 7-10 day dry time will be 6 months." 1.5 to 2 months to do the whole job.