View Single Post
Old 07-24-2019, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vance View Post
Thanks for the input. I just kept going with the stripper gel until I got to bare wood. Grip area and buttstock upper and lower surface took longest to let go.
I was worried that the stripper would damage the white spacer on the pistol grip, which I am guessing is plastic, but it didn't.
I don't care for the Tru oil look as it is glossy and leaves a surface urethane layer which then scratches. I also like the hand-feel of wood, without the layer of "plastic" film.
I have used raw tung oil on SKS stock refinishes (and 2000 sq feet of wood floor at our cabin) and liked the look and feel. I think the product I am using will approximate that.
My understanding of BLO is that it has urethane/polyurethane added. Is that correct? If not, I will reach for it next time.
Vance

Sounds like it will turn out nice. We can compare pic if you wish. Not 100% on BLO containing urethane/polyurethane, mine doesn't according to a quick google search, but I know a lot of guys will cover boiled linseed oil with urethane. I wouldn't. You have to be 100% sure the blo is very dry and not still gassing off or you'll make a mess.

Once I get mine stripped of finish, mine have always been one application, but I wrap the stock with tinfoil to keep things wet and let it sit for 5 minutes. any little bits leftover sand out easily. I sand for probably a good hour with 220 - 400 grit to get rid of any little nicks and imperfections. Then I'll dip a finger tip into the boiled linseed oil, rub it into an area roughly 4 inches square and wet sand it in with 400 grit. I do the entire stock minus the checkering of course and will repeat the process another 3x roughly at roughly one week intervals. Each oil and wet sand takes roughly one hour.

Once I have the tiny cracks and pores filled I'll begin the process of hand rubbing coats of linseed oil into the wood. No smart comments please but I'll apply very little oil and progressively less with each coat and hand rub it in to the point my hands get really warm from the friction. The hotter the better. Each coat and hot rub will be right around an hour. Some guys do 1-2 finish coats. The one I'm working on now will be 3-4. I went totally matte finish on my first couple but want a little bit of sheen on this one just to see how it looks. It's not a surface gloss like the TruOil gives. Seems to come from deeper in the wood.

Each coat of BLO will dry for at least a week before the next application.

If you can get around the cameraman's dumb commentary this old guy knows what he's doing and the vid shows the variations you can get with the glow, depending on how many coats you hand rub in.

https://youtu.be/mzVdsln29o8

Last edited by 270person; 07-24-2019 at 08:40 PM.