View Single Post
Old 07-23-2019, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rig-Rat View Post
I'll agree with this. Good post..
The Fan 960 broke down the Looch contract the other day and the way they went over it, it didn't seem too too bad as it was front end heavy and the Oilers have ate a lot of the big stuff.. Every year that passes it's not as bad. Don't get me wrong i still think we paid to much but hope it works out.

I'm totally on board with getting that dang cup back in Canada and of course in Berta would be best. At least Canadian players are bringing it home..

Neal and Lucic are $ 2M difference total $$ owing on a buyout. The big difference comes on the cap hit still remaining "after" you buy either out.

Assuming both play on their respective teams this coming season but get bought out immediately after:

Lucic' counting cap hit for the next 3 years following is $ 4.9M; $ 3.6M; $ 4.9M. Then he'd be $ 550,000 per for the next 4 years. Rough total of $ 15.6M over 7 years. That's all Calgary's.

Neal's counting cap hit for the next 3 years following is $ 1.9; $ 1.9; 1.9. That would continue for the next 4 years following. 7 x 1.9m = $ 13.4M over 7 years. That's all Edmonton's.

But... the Oilers are still on the hook for 12.5% of Lucic buyout as well which is roughly $ 600k per year that has to be subtracted from their cap hit savings. So losing Lucic and taking on Neal translates to $ 2.4M; $ 1.1M; $ 2.4M actual cap hit savings per year for 3 years after the upcoming season which was the prime goal for Edmonton.

The BIGGEST thing here for the Oilers was gaining that cap space and secondly was losing a player that wasn't contributing. End of story. Plus they are probably counting on Neal recovering some from last years dismal performance. I'd say he's the better bet but who knows? Lucic will beat some guys senseless so that could be worth the extra coin.