View Single Post
Old 06-02-2019, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBF View Post
Been on a few of these southern prairie hunts but never as a tag holder. They are a ton of fun and frustrating at same time. You can sit and glass large open country for hours and not see anything, turn your head for 30 seconds and look back and there is 20-30,50 head in front of and you wonder where in the world did they come from.
While they are neat to see here but from a landowner perspective it sure has brought more fencing work. Do your research and I think you will find most people in the south here accommodate elk hunters.
Best advise on here yet. Two of us took a pair of elk out of WMU 102 late one evening. Equally as hard a hunt as any mountain hunt I've been on for its own reasons. The ranchers down in that area are more than helpful as long as you are not driving all over their property with a hot vehicle since fire is always a concern. Stick to the oilfield roads where access is granted and stick to the rules. We ran mountain bikes beyond that but having the opportunity to run horses would be a heck of a benefit to a hunter. I hunt further West these days with another member who has horses and I can truly say it is an amazing experience. A horse hunt is the most traditional style out there in my opinion. It doesn't always go as desired but there is never a dull story afterwards.