View Single Post
Old 05-06-2019, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
Only possible positive that could come from these carp is a food source for pike & walleye along with any other species that may prey on them. I don’t see these carp ever being a popular fishery

Only thing for sure is it will change the ecosystem and have a large impact. I would not jump on the doomsday theory that these carp are going to destroy all other species.

Look at the positive results goby have had on small mouth in the Great Lakes and cross your fingers similar results happen in Alberta. Maybe if luck is on the side of Alberta’s fishermen we could see some huge fat pike out of this mess

Still would have been best if the carp were not in Alberta’s waters
Only if they don't eat up the pike eggs before they can hatch, or otherwise interfere with spawning. The carp have expanded through the united states, I'm sure someone could tell us whether there have been any positive impact on the other gamefish populations. The carp have not eradicated other species in the past, however I feel that this far north the "natural balance" is far more delicate than in less severe climates. In other areas they seem to have been able to meddle far more with the ecosystem without inflicting the same impact as we are seeing in much of Canada. Looking at the results in the North Eastern states may give an idea what we can expect, but I feel that it is no real guaranty of what the results may be.