View Single Post
Old 03-13-2019, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinelakeperch View Post
In terms of reliability, I think in general most mainstream modern cars are pretty close. Yes, you'll see Honda and Toyota at the front of the pack, but buying a middle of the pack model does not mean that you can expect a catastrophic failure two months into your purchase. Even Honda and Toyota have their issues; recall Toyota's massive recalls a few years ago and Honda's current issue with CRV turbo engines failing in cold weather. That isn't to say that Honda or Toyota aren't excellent choices, just attempting to point out that the gap isn't as significant as it has been in the past.
I remember the huge recall by Toyota, because some idiot stacked multiple floor mats, that jammed the accelerator pedal and resulted in a runaway vehicle that ended up with fatalities. The idiot was on the phone calling 911, instead of simply moving the shifter out of gear, or even shutting off the engine. The current Toyota floor liners still have cut outs under the accelerator pedal, in an attempt to idiot proof them. Since I owned a Tundra at the time, Toyota wanted to cut the bottom off of the accelerator pedal as part of a recall, all because of some clueless idiot. As such, I put zero consideration into this recall, as it was simply done to appease some people that had no clue. Some recalls have merit, some don't.