View Single Post
Old 02-25-2019, 11:36 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
Nothing wrong with hiring a guide.

For those of us that believe in the concept of maintaining wildlife as an entity managed by the government as a Public Trust,
HAVING to hire a guide goes against the pillars of the North American Model of Wildlife Conservation.

Maintaining unguided NR hunting opportunities in ALL jurisdictions is vital for the future of this activity.
The continued creep of privatizing access to Our Wildlife only leads in the direction of excluding People from hunting, sustains the degradation of our community and our traditions.
How does hiring a guide go against the pillars of the model?
The outfitters dont own the animals. This isnt a high fence hunt. In our case it is the provincial govt that is in trust of our animals. So who exactly are they in trust for? Future generations of Albertans? Or for some guy who worked here for 3 months from Nova scotians as an example? Who do we owe it to, to protect and manage these animals for?

I dont see how non resident hunting opportunities are vital to our future? Do you think it will change the publics perception if a hunter from Texas shoots a grizzly bear with a guide or not? I do understand where youre coming from with opportunities being important. But those opportunities are allocated already through outfitters. Outfitted hunts in alberta are a bargain compared to other provinces and states. Id like to get my grand slam, and i know that it probably wont happen unless i move a few times or i get lucky on the lotto max.

The world has changed, times are different. When the model was developed there was barely any wildlife left in north america. Its been a total success! We have different issues today than we did back then and there is NO answer that will make everyone happy.