View Single Post
Old 02-04-2019, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNP View Post
Not checking the math but I'm happy to see you've come around. 90 cants aren't typical and neither are crosshairs 1" from the centre of the bore. Shouldering someones gun with crosshairs that are not level with the rifle irritates me. I level the rifle in a bed, I then mount the scope level using a plumb bob. I shoulder the rifle...….if the image of the crosshairs is not level I will readjust my hold until the crosshairs are level. Fire away. This is "the" proper way to mount and use a scope. Mounting a scope on a canted rifle is the same as mounting a scope that is not level and will induce deviation as you have illustrated.
What do you want me to use as a cant and a crosshair distance from the bore. If I use 2" crosshair distance and a 5 degree cant you get 0.7" of movement at 1000 yards. That is much less than 0.1MPH of wind. Definitely a lot more variable that matter more. For hunting distances which are probably max around 500 yards that is 0.26" which again is negligible compared to every other factor.

By readjusting your hold past a natural feel you are introducing much more of change. In the field you will default to natural and hence cant your rifle which will affect your point of impact much more since you are not zero'd to your cant.

Last edited by AndrewM; 02-04-2019 at 11:02 AM.