View Single Post
Old 01-24-2019, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYC338 View Post
The point I was making was the Oilers won a cup after he was traded. You made it sound like they went in the dumpster when he left. Of course they weren't better, as I'd said those weren't hockey trades, they were financial moves. You're beating an apples and oranges dead horse here when you continue to make that point.
Actually, you're the one that chose to single out those players and that team from a long list and beat it to death, while completely ignoring the rest.

Call it what you will, moving your elite players out of town does not end well.

Quote:
That 9-10MM/year is common or not is irrelevant. It's really a percentage of cap total and value/return on your investment when you sign a player.

If you can afford to be a cap team, 9MM on a 100MM cap is different than 8.5MM on a 70MM cap.

Draisaitl fails both tests. His $8.5MM/yr as a percentage of the cap when he signed is out of proportion to what he's delivered as a player. Then there's also the question of what is his return on investment on $8.5MM/yr (for 8 years) regardless of what the cap is?
I completely agree that percentage of cap is key. As I already posted, but again, you ignored, the percentage of cap for McDavid/Draisatl is directly comparable to Toews/Kane and Crosby/Malkin - WHEN THEY WERE SIGNED. It only looks better with time as the cap number goes up.

Understanding that the cap WILL go up, you have to look at the big picture when you're talking 6-8 year deals, or even the first 2-3 year window. Those "irrelevent" $8-10 MM/per deals that are going to happen this offseason will be signed on next year's $83M total cap. Before the puck drops on the 2019/2020 season, there will several directly comparable players with cap hits that are the same percentage of the total cap as Draisaitl's. That was the point.

So now it's just a matter of how you rate Draisaitl's value compared to those other players and contracts that are going to be signed. I'm not a Draisaitl fan boy by any stretch, there's holes in his game and a lack of effort on way too many nights. I'm yelling at him all the time some nights. I agree that $8.5MM/per is a stretch right now, BUT, he's the 9th leading scorer in the NHL on a team that struggles to score goals. You can dump on that fact however you want, we've all heard it a million times and have our biases, and I'm sure we could fill three pages debating it, but in the end, the guy plays a TON of minutes and is proving to be an elite scorer that can play the PP and the PK. That gets you a big fat pay day.