View Single Post
Old 01-19-2019, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yz295 View Post
HWTs should be flushed once a year at the very least. Is it making any banging noises as it heats? Your dip tube will be disintegrated and floating around in the tank. Changing it will definitely help with the lack of hot water. You'll want to check the colour of the flame as well and make sure its a nice blue colour. As for the flush, it is likely you will see a minor leak on the bottom of the tank if a proper flush is done but it should seal up within 30 mins of running. I see it on units all the time.

What you are experiencing is lack of maintenance and could be a combination of a few things. Any decent handyman will be able to look at it and determine best next steps. If you plan on doing some work to your existing unit change your relief valve while you're at it. HWTs that aren't operating properly are bombs! Like furnaces, I keep spare parts in my basement to fix any issue I could have. Best to be prepared.
No banging noises. It had its annual service check in December. Did not know about tank flushing until I read about it this week, and too bad the plumbers never mentioned it.
We'll be replacing the dip tube next week after I find one. I guess they are not all the same so don't want to buy one and it is too short!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 250mark1 View Post
Your current tank was made in 2004
Yes. I finally figured that out! Hopefully this fix will buy us some time as our finances suck at the moment. Thanks!

Saving one animal won't change the world, but the world will change for that one animal!