View Single Post
Old 01-11-2019, 06:19 PM

[QUOTE=oiler_nation;3909546]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 243plus View Post
What I see, and generally support, on the Bighorn plan, is that there will be a curtailment of areas that are impacted by mechanical conveyances and equipment. Curtailment, not elimination, and curtailment includes avoiding sensitive habitat, whether that is riparian areas or upland.

What I would like to see is a better definition of where that curtailment will occur. Now, part of the planning process is to roughly outline the areas that will have various activities involved, with the details being hashed out later. That is normal, from what I understand.

I also get that many, many are upset and have no trust because of the back pedaling in the Castle. Maybe if someone could suggest what a better process is, and still achieve an outcome that means less impact on the habitat we all want to enjoy one way or the other. Please don't just say "enforcement", because there is not just one magic bullet, but a multiple pronged strategy that needs to occur./QUOTE]

I share your many of the same sentiments.

It may be standard protocol to speak in high level terms at this stage of the process, but the reality is that with the Castle Wildland and wheel chair accessible huts fresh in my mind it is difficult to fully buy in without knowing what IT is. The info session I attended was a joke, the survey is one sided (strongly agree, agree, neutral, disagree), and I think the end product would be better served if government officials (not summer students or individuals from random departments, but Shannon Phillips and others with actual clout) sat down and had real town halls in various communities. Obviously these town halls would have to be tightly monitored to ensure respectful engagement, but at least then some of the more reasoned arguments would be heard directly by the decision makers. This would not completely undue the mistrust created in the castle (and rural Alberta is always going to have some mistrust of the NDP), but at least it would show an actual attempt to really engage with various stakeholders.
There is already BNP, JNP, Kanaskis, Castle, and if you're looking for a little more rustic, the Wilmore to have your "wilderness" experience. Many parts in between with various restrictions. How much more do you want? Almost sounds selfish to me