View Single Post
Old 01-11-2019, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oiler_nation View Post
I spend significant time (more than my wife would like) thinking about hunting fishing and the issues around them. I am no hypocrite, and I based the idea that you are an advocate for random RV camping and OHV use (which you appear to be) off a hell of a lot more than you based your assessment of me.

I was not suggesting that you do not fish or hunt or love your children. I assume everyone on the forum likes to hunt or fish and probably most of us love our kids, wives, dogs, and family. I was eluding to the fact that if push comes to shove you value camping in an RV and quading more than the conservation of habitats and wilderness that support the species we like to hunt and fish. Maybe I am wrong. I do not begrudge you for enjoying the RV and OHV's with your kids (as stated I support multiple use), but I do support setting aside areas where those activities are restricted and a more rustic wilderness experience is available. You appear to disagree, and that is fine. We can both love the outdoors and sit on opposite sides of the fence on a particular issue.

The Bighorn is a large tract of land and the PLUZ is even larger. I would love to see room for you to take your kids on designated trails in specific areas while I can take mine into an area designated for a more authentic wilderness experience. Based case scenario, when my knees and back give out my kid will be doing the same things with their kids. That is the essence of the multiple use framework.
I understand where you are coming from and I use to think almost exactly the same, and this is coming from someone who almost exclusively hunts in K country but we don’t always need to pick conservation OR atv use and random camping. The problem with the Bighorn is where it puts the power in the hands of people who have no place holding power over conservation and wildlife. I don’t own an ATV or a horse and every one of my hunts is done on foot, but there is already plenty of land for guys like me (and I assume you as well) to do what we love on foot away from vehicles. Does the bighorn need to be looked at as far as some conservation issues, absolutely but a sweeping motion like the current bighorn plan is not the way and unfortunately organizations like BHA (of which I WAS a member) have failed to recognize that and are crawling in bed with the devil (hyperbole I know). If you ever are down in the k country area and want some pointers to some awesome foot access only spots, let me know brother.