View Single Post
Old 12-30-2018, 04:07 PM

I was skinning an elk back in 2011. She was hanging by the back legs and we had it skinned down to the brisket.
I crouched down between the front legs and put the knife under the hide to cut from the brisket to the neck. While I was doing that I was yapping to my brother and not paying attention. The neck of the elk curved away from me but I didn’t follow it. I remember feeling the tip of the knife contact the hide and a little more resistance but still didn’t look at what I was doing. I gave it a little more muscle... knife popped out of the hide and straight into my thigh the the hilt. As I was squatting my thigh was compressed. I felt the tip pretty my at the back of my leg but it didn’t poke out the back.
Here’s the knife

I didn’t finish the job. Straight to the hospital, brother asking if I got the femoral. I told him no way or I would already be dead.
Doctor told me I wasn’t far off but had I hit it I would of bled out pretty quick. I was happy we weren’t back in the mountains or on a canoe trip.

I’ll talk it down as dumb as it was on here but it happened quick and I’m no stranger to knives or skinning animals. Pay attention and take your time.

Sorry for the tiny thumbnail. I can't remember how to put a large photo in a thread on the computer and tapatalk wouldn't let me insert that pic at all cause it looks like an "adult image"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0132.jpg (18.9 KB, 135 views)

Last edited by Coiloil37; 12-30-2018 at 04:12 PM.