View Single Post
Old 12-30-2018, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Coyote View Post
I’ve had that one a few times. Funny but not funny

2010, archery moose, quartering to load in truck, knife through hide slip, drove into knee, got very lucky. I was well aware of the femoral artery incidents and legs were way out and still...got in a hurry. That’s a panic spike I hope to never feel again, dropped the coveralls and pants to see if I killed myself or not. Blade went all the way in on a standard 2 3/4 or 3” blade but across whole front of knee joint on angle downward to below kneecap. Legs wide and low helped. Was able to paper towel and electrical tape splint it up. Finished quartering and loading moose and drove myself to hospital. That part wasn’t fun either, as they had to prove the joint and pressurize it with blue fluid...also when dr drove his finger all the way into the hole. Nice scar and some tingle is all that’s left. Uber careful when the knife comes out now...and slow it down.
Good story and thank you- from some other stories we’ve found, that seems to be a common theme.... wise to have a first aid kit in the field to dress the wounds from quartering animals. Good mention on the electric tape- one of the best ways to add pressure to wounds.