View Single Post
Old 12-19-2018, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
I am I want to weld aluminum again. I just didnt know if the 305 had a steel reel for mig welding steel. I am almost certain it doesn't, and like Crabtree says it requires another box. I was hoping you could weld steel with a spool gun. I thought maybe you would just use small spools.
You can weld steel with a spool gun. The 305 will just have all the connections to add on aftermarket stuff (which isn't cheap). If you've ever had the lovely experience of using spool guns, you probably also have quite an extensive collection of swear words in your vocabulary. For steel, you will be restricted to fairly small diameter wires, which means you won't be able to weld very thick steel efficiently. The tight wrap of the small spools also causes issues with the cast of the wire, causing more feeding issues than you see with larger rolls (also adding to your vocabulary). As far as aluminum, I had to do a bunch of fixed position welds on pipe with an aluminum spool gun. I learned some new swear words, and ordered a TIG machine 2 days later. Aluminum really needs the amperage control that TIG gives you. A spool gun is just on or off.