View Single Post
Old 12-14-2018, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendan's dad View Post
I wasn't aware that Demers was injured but I did look at his stats and that was the first that stood out, he is maxing out at 65 games a season and I imagine that is due to injury.

Draft picks....... If they Oilers used their picks to get a player now which improves their record, then that draft pick has less value. I think the Oilers are use to having and scared to trade away a 10 ten pick. Have a little confidence in the team and use that pick now to better the team.

We were all laughing and making fun of the Flames for having no picks last year...... who's laughing now?
Trading draft pick renders immediate results (like you're seeing now), but hurt a lot later down the road. Good drafting can help avoid that though, and the Flames have been pretty good at finding diamonds in the rough in the past decade. Gaudreau in the 4th round, Brodie in the 4th round, Gio undrafted, Ferland (of course he's traded now) in the 5th round.

Meanwhile, looking at my beloved Oilers, only players on the roster who are drafted from out of the first round and are regularly contributing players is Khaira in the 3rd round. McDavid, Draisaitl, Nuge, Klef, Nurse all in the first, and majority in the top 10. Awful drafting and player development for the last 15 years.

At least things are starting to look up with Jones, McLeod, Lagesson, Bear, Benson, all of whom are budding well in the AHL and were drafted outside the first lol