View Single Post
Old 12-13-2018, 02:16 AM

That is a decent shop but the prices are quite high. It is a good place to go and talk to the guys, you can learn quite a lot from them as they are pretty knowledgeable. You can however buy razors and the other accessories on line for a lot less money.

I have used a Henkels straight razor for many years. They do a great job but you can buy a lot of razor blades for the price of a good straight razor so if it is mostly about saving money you will be many years breaking even. I don't know if Henkels still makes them but there are lots of used Henkels for sale on Ebay. Make sure any razor you buy does not have any nicks, rust or other damage on them, it makes them virtually useless.

There are quite a number of really good Straight razors made and you can pay from $80 to $800 for one. Buy a good quality one but if you spend more than $2-300 for a new one you aren't really getting a better razor, just fancier engraving or handle material.

I only stone sharpen my straight razor every 6 or 7 years. The rest of the time the leather and canvas strop is more than enough, but I have a relatively soft beard. I always shower before shaving and with the softened hair I use no soap or shaving lube. I find I get a much closer shave that way.

Take your time when you start out and never pull the razor sideways, always straight up or down. Never shave when you are even a little shaky or distracted. Lock the door when you are shaving, this is not when you want to get bumped or startled. Best of luck.