View Single Post
Old 12-10-2018, 08:32 AM

Default "Practical vs "Cool" Firearms

Yesterday , we have a new shooter come out to shoot skeet with us. He was pleasant fellow,and he had a great time, but I cringed watching him shoot, because of the recoil and the noise. He was shooting a tactical style shotgun with a 14" barrel, and the recoil was significant, as was the noise. He told us that he had another shotgun, but it was an AR type shotgun with a scope mounted. He told us that he purchased both shotguns because they looked "cool". However, after shooting them a few times at stationary targets, the novelty had worn off, and he didn't shoot them often. He told us that he wanted to shoot more skeet, and get into hunting birds, but he now realized how impractical both shotguns were, and unfortunately, his firearms budget was spent for some time to come. I have noticed a lot of these types of new firearms showing up at the range over the past few years, and in most cases, the novelty wears off quickly, and the firearms are up for sale, or sit in a gun safe unused. I have purchased several firearms that I didn't get the use out of that I expected, but they were extras, that didn't prevent me from being able to purchase the firearms that I do use regularly. And I went through my gun room, and sold them all, re-investing in firearms that I use most. Just wondering how many people have purchased "cool" firearms that see little use, but they still own. I am not including the firearms that we keep for sentimental reasons, but then most of those were not purchased because they looked "cool".