View Single Post
Old 09-13-2009, 09:15 PM

I come on this thread once in a while to see what the m***** think on the issue and for the most part there is a great deal of misinformation being bantered about. I have in the past and will again give those that are interested in the FACTS the facts as they pertain to the issue of crossbows in the archery season in Alberta and elsewhere as I know them.
As far as George Wagner's letter to AO, I served on the FCA Cossbow sub committee with George and had quite a bit of coorespondance with him on the ramifications any move to allow crossbows in the archery season will have in Alberta and some other parts of Canada, on what ours and other's positions are and why. George seems to have forgotten some of the things I talked to him about. I explained to George and have to everyone else, that the ABA and me personally are NOT against crossbows for hunting or general shooting -- we do not want them in any archery seasons. They are primitive weapons and can be used now in any general or primtive season here in Alberta. Most of the province's archery organizations in Canada and those in the FCA DO NOT deem crossbows to be archery equipment and do not want them in the FCA. We want the FCA to recognize the will of its members and not just one or two who may have an "agenda". We are not being sneaky at all -- these motions and such to the FCA are presented, discussed and voted on by provincial reps. If anyhting there seems to be some pressure and maneauvering to keep the ABA from being heard at all but we are trying to sort thru all that as we go.
George also forgets that the differences between the crossbow and real bow is that the real bow is drawn AND held by muscular power and is drawn in the presence of game. Youngsters, physically challenged hunters can easily use real bows with todays technologies and adaptations for physical disabilities. If not, they can use the crossbow in the GENERAL season.
Throughout George's letter and in the response from the editor, comments are made about the ABA and in a roundabout way, me, as I have been the president for the past 5 years and been dealing with this issue quite a bit. The words silly and selfish came out loud and clear and I am not sure how to respond to that - is a very unprofessional way to conduct a discussion/debate and usually that type of retoric comes from having a weak position and poor counter argument. I and the ABA will continue to debate this in the proper way.
To clear another thing up that was in AO, it is NOT the ABA's "archery season" -- it is for all of Alberta's present and future bowhunters. It was and is through the efforts of the ABA (since 1956) that what each and every one of you who do bowhunt, get to continue to enjoy that passion. I and the ABA have been working very closely with other sister groups and the govt to help fight the battles to keep doing what we all love to do as far as outdoor recreational and traditional pursuits go.
The reference to "what is clearly archery tackle (crossbows)" is certainly the view of a few and not that of most I have talked to or the membership of the ABA (who elect me and the rest of the executive to do what they want us to do -- if we are not doing what they want, we are not re-elected. Pretty simple).
AND I would like to know who all these others are who do not join because we are "silly and selfish" - maybe they are not getting the facts.

FACTS:
The ABA represents 1150 bowhunters (2009 numbers to date) out of 16500 total licenses sold from across the province. We have one of the highest member to overall bhtr number joining rates of anywhere in North America.
The ABA has made up anywhere from 20-30% of the total membership of the FCA in the last 5 years.
The ABA and it's president are NOT against the use of crossbows.
The ABA and its president are very cognizant of the need to fight battles against hunting in general and we are very involved in that BUT when we are threatened by the introduction of a primitve weapon into our archery seasons and we take on that challenge, we are called silly and selfish. Go figure.
The pressure to allow crossbows into the archery seasons (across North America)has come from manufacturers of crossbows, dealers - create a demand and we will supply it. That includes George's shop in Ontario. The PRO side of the argument is from many others who get free equipment, who get sponsorship/endorsements/advertising in exchange for a positive spin. I always take these things with a grain of salt and try and figure out how/who it benefits when something is said or written.
In those few areas that have allowed them, statistics available show that there is NO real increase in overall hunter numbers but a move with rifle hunters buying crossbows to use in this new season, a new opportunity.
In Alberta bowhunters are watched very closely as to harvest rates by SRD and to a lesser degree, AFGA. When we get to 10% we have seen seasons shortened, draws implemented, draw tags reduced. Has happened for antelope, moose and mule deer. Is not a myth.

Here's some simple math -- Alberta had 16500 in 2008 out of app 110000 overall hunters. That leaves app 93500 who do not use bows. Bowhunters are allowed app 10% of the harvest rate (CONFIRMED in meetings with SRD June 2008) for any particular species/season. In some states where crossbows were allowed, up to 40% of rifle hunters bought crossbows to use in this new season. Lets say that 20% would do that in Alberta. Now we have 18000 new hunters using our archery season - total would be 34500. Immediately we would be watched to see what would happen. In other areas success rate is the same as real bows but it would mean a doubling of harvest and that would mean shorter archery seasons, more draws, less tags in other draws (again CONFIRMED in June 2008 SRD meetings). If any one of you has ever bowhunted antelope it would be devastating on them with a crossbow. lay on your belly with fully cocked crossbow ready (for hours if need be) and just pull the trigger when he comes in. How does defending the allowing of a primitive weapon into an archery season, and the erotion of that activity, be silly and selfish?
The Saskatchewan Bhtrs Assoc were told by their F&W department that if crossbows were allowed and the harvest rate did go up, they would loose their archery seasons and everyone would just be lumped into the general season. Pretty FAIR you think!!
IF hunter numbers escalate if crossbows were ever allowed, and using the numbers from above, the number of hunters using the archery season could jump from 16500 (15% of the overall hunter total) to 34500 (based on a 20% crossover and would now be 31%). In being fair, at 15% of the overall hunter numbers we were allowed a 10% harvest rate SO if we go to 31% of the overall hunter numbers our share of the harvest needs to be adjusted to at least 20%. Where would those days and tag numbers come from? Guess it would have to be taken from the general season but fair is fair. Should any of the general season hunters or groups disagree they must be silly and selfish (using the criteria established by some)!!
Our next ABA banquet and convention will be in the Edmonton area end of March or first part of April - we are just firming up a hotel now. In 2011 it will be in Red Deer April 3/4 and once again Fred Eichler will be our guest.
I invite everyone to attend our AGM meetings and bring your concerns, we will discuss things and you can even get involved as we have various positions up for election each year. If you are interested, the president's position is up in 2011.

Brent Watson
2009 ABA President