Thread: Hodgdon data
View Single Post
Old 12-01-2018, 05:29 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32-40win View Post
Heck, some old reloading manuals used case expansion and extrapolated pressure from that, which have been found to be a bit higher than they thought they were.

My reloading manuals aren't that old. Two even show CUP pressures, so they did use proper pressure testing in at least two of them.

Besides, it's Hodgdon's most recent data that appears to be off.

Using my manuals data I have no issues but they don't list Lil'Gun because it wasn't on the market then.

I've worked up loads for this gun a few years ago and would use that information but I don't have the necessary components in stock.

I do have IMR 4198 and Hodgdon Lil'Gun but I wanted to save my 4198 for larger calibers.

I did load a couple with the reduced Lil'Gun data Silver provided. One I loaded to 9.4 and one to 9.6. The fist showed no sign of excessive pressure when I tried it today. The Chrony showed 2589 muzzle velocity.
The second show a slightly flattened primer. Nothing serious, and a muzzle velocity of 2647

I found data for the IMR 4198 and the 40gr bullets so I loaded five of them at the listed starting load. I hope to try them tomorrow.

In the mean time I had to cancel my powder order as there is no service that will deliver it to this area.

George Bernard Shaw