Thread: Hodgdon data
View Single Post
Old 11-29-2018, 09:20 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
It is not as rare as you might think, which is why the manuals list starting loads, and advise loaders to watch for pressure signs. Thinking that all loads will be safe in pretty much any rifle, is the reason that some people get themselves into trouble. Loading is not the lace for assumptions or shortcuts, if you start low, and work up, you may observe situations like you did, but ultimately, because you started low, no serious damage resulted.

I do start at minimum and I do consider that it may be close to max, but it seems to me that a total case separation at minimum charge is beyond what one should reasonably expect.

For me the bigger issue is the discrepancy between the online data and my reloading manuals.

A few grains difference does not surprise me at all but as I said, I found several loads for a number of different calibers where Hodgdon's data started where my manuals stopped.

And some of those loads in the manuals are loads I had used in working up loads for other rifles in the past.

A bad batch of powder makes more sense to me then anything else.

George Bernard Shaw