Thread: Hodgdon data
View Single Post
Old 11-29-2018, 08:50 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by leo View Post
Load data is subjective to a couple of things that can't be replicated. The firearm used, and the lot number of powder. The loads were deemed safe in the test firearm they used with the lot of powder used.

Yeah I know and it is one thing I thought might explain what I found.

I've heard that some of the new rifles have much better steel and are better engineered. But I haven't heard of much happening with the 218.

Besides, this seems too extreme to be just a matter of differences between powder batches or new manufacturing techniques.

I mean it might make sense if it were just one caliber or one make of gun but I found several different loads for different calibers involving several different powders where Hodgdon's online date started at loads deemed maximum in my reloading manuals.

Another thing that puzzles me. Let's say that the online data is only for the most recent manufactured guns and is not intended for use in older guns.
Why wouldn't that be clearly stated?

I find it hard to imagine a scenario where published reloading information from a powder manufacturer might be seriously unsafe in any rifle.

Yet that seems to be the case here.

George Bernard Shaw