Thread: Creedmoor
View Single Post
Old 11-24-2018, 12:59 PM

I've had a couple of 6.5x55 surplus guns, and loaded a 264win mag for a friend, so I have the hardware needed for it, just need brass, dies and bullets. Got to looking to acquire another singleshot over the last while, picked up a 7-08 instead.
There is a very nice #1 available in 6.5, and some 1885's and some Kipplaufs but, I couldn't talk myself into it. Was looking at 6.5x57r, 6.5x65r, took the 7-08 as I have all I need for it, and it will do what I need done. Proved that to myself over the last 30 yrs of owning one.
I often ask myself why do I need to keep a 7-08 and a 7Remmag, and a .218bee and a .223, and a 30R Blaser and a 300H&H. One doesn't really do anything better than the other for my purposes, but, I like the guns they are in, and that is all it really boils down to.
Had opportunities to acquire some really nice guns, that I like a lot, in 6.5 of various forms over the years, and I know it is a very versatile calibre, but, too close to the 7mm, which is what I already had a lot of stuff for, including cast bullet stuff..
Been interesting to watch the plethora of cartridges erupt for it over the last 15 yrs or so, maybe if the selection had been around 30 yrs ago, I may have gone that way instead. Even the cheap 6.5x55 ammo was getting fussy to find in the 90's when the Yugo stuff dried up, that may have been part of it. Before the internet really erupted, also.