View Single Post
Old 10-16-2018, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewski Canuck View Post
Once its at the truck, who cares if you split it apart between the front and rear quarters? Put a tarp around the exposed meat of each half and you will be good. Skin it out when you get home, hang it and wash it.

As for loading a front or rear half, Quad ramps, a come along, and a few extra hands will get the rears up and in.

Tricky part is getting an anchor point. I have a canopy and had to use one of the corner tie down points at the base on a very big moose. It was not a lot of fun even with help. A winch would have been nice.

Even with a winch set up mounted high on a headache rack like the f & W trucks, you still need a set of ramps.
Drewski
I load bison in the back of my truck with no ramp. Most I've had is 2 decent size bison cows. Guy before me had 3-4 in the truck. Granted, I have a 12000# Warn winch mounted to the deck behind the cab and my flatbed is a tilt deck. The biggest thing you need is a roller at the end of the bed. I'm supposed to get a new truck next year and I'm already looking at how to improve my next buffalo bus. My counterpart has a hydrabed on the back of his truck and while it works, the extra moving parts are a pain. Especially if/when it breaks as it did this past summer while moving hay.

If I was planning on building one for my personal truck, I would put a 4000# winch 2/3 to 3/4 of the way up the headache rack, then brace it in the middle and on each side. YNP bear mgmt have the basic set up. I would add a 6" roller at the back though. My 4" roller is a bit small.... Maybe I'll have to build one for my old pick up... Could be a real good winter project.