View Single Post
Old 09-16-2018, 11:18 AM

Default Dog attack information

""In the United States, pit bull-type dogs and rottweilers were involved in more than half of 238 dog-attack deaths; they were followed by German shepherds, husky-type dogs, and malamutes in the number of deaths caused (5).

However, as pit bull-type dogs gradually, and almost singularly, came under legislation in several Canadian jurisdictions, this breed-type’s ranking in the present retrospective study cannot be compared easily with the ranking from the earlier US-based study.

In nonfatal aggressive incidents, the pit bull did rank highest in 2000 and 2001 (2.84 bite incidents per 100 licensed dogs of this breed type) in 1 Canadian municipality (Edmonton, Alberta) (12). Other breeds that followed in this municipality included the rottweiler (1.60 bite incidents per 100 licensed), Akita (1.52), mastiff (1.47), Dalmatian (1.40), and Great Dane (1.21) (12). The rottweiler, by causing 21 of the 72 non-fatal injuries attributed to dogs from known breeds, ranked 1st in a hospital-based summary of dog bites in children (9).

I may be mistaken but I think the Husky and malamute attack and death incidence numbers are skewed largely by reports from the reserves and rural areas where packs are sometimes allowed to roam freely.

In my opinion there's a lot of large dog breeds that just should not be allowed in urban environments.

Last edited by 270person; 09-16-2018 at 11:24 AM.