View Single Post
Old 09-12-2018, 01:10 PM

Interesting times ahead for sure, and a little scary.

I'm concerned with impaired drivers and the Police's ability to detect level of impairment. EPS is purchasing those Dräger machines even though they are relatively unproven and are known to have problems in the cold. Problem is they are only a positive or negative test, not an actual impairment test like they are trying to sell it as. If I had a puff two weeks ago I'm going to test positive with that test, so now what? Do I get an impaired charge even though I'm not? Will it be up to the officers discretion? That would be truly frightening if that's the case.

Lots of unknowns in the workplace as well, can a company say they won't hire smokers? Would that not be a violation of your chartered rights? Obviously I'm all for people at work being stone cold sober no matter what tickles your fancy when your not working but a simple positive/negative test isn't going to mean much.

We have known this is coming for how many years now? And yet nobody seems prepared. I have a friend in a union that does THC impairment tests (Sylvia) can that test not be used by law enforcement? Seems superior to a simple yes/no test, especially if it's impairment they are looking for.

And then you will have the entitled smoker that will fire up anywhere "cause it's his right" and "because it's legal" even if not legal to smoke in public, even though it's in poor taste, discretion has allways been the name of the game.

Interesting and scary times ahead for sure

Even in the article they call it an impairment test, which it CLEARLY is not
https://edmontonjournal.com/news/loc...is-not-perfect