Thread: AO Book Club
View Single Post
Old 08-17-2018, 03:13 PM
Gone Hunting

I like !

I used to read a lot. Mostly first person life stories written by pioneers and homesteaders. I also enjoy some fiction and love anything funny.

I used to have an extensive library of such books but now I have a dozen or less left. Loaned out and never returned.

I've kinda given up reading. In recent years my eyesight makes reading for long periods uncomfortable.

I am also not good at writing reviews. But I do like the idea of AO members sharing in some way, what they have read.

My contribution;

The Homemade Brass Plate by Cornellia Lehn.

This is one book in a series of books about the real life story of pioneer doctor Dr. Mary Percy Jackson who dedicated her life to serving the people of the Peace River district in northern Alberta.

This book covers her life from immigration to Canada to her final years of life.

Dr. Jackson was our family doctor and the Dr. who delivered me into this world so admittedly I am biased in favor of this book. Still I strongly believe anyone interested in pioneer life or the founding of this province will love this book.

The book tells of the hardships of living in Northern Alberta before there were roads or telephones or hospitals. It tells of debilitating diseases, injuries and how the homesteaders took it all in stride.

The writing is spell binding. It paints graphic pictures of life back then. Plus the book has many photos from that era.

---------------------------------------------------

The next book I'd recommend is; How to *hit in the Woods, by Kathleen Meyer.

I think most men find answering the call of nature in the wilderness more or less a simple matter.

My 11 sisters taught me a long time ago, this is not so for women.
This book is a light hearted, often hilarious look at the subject.

Meant to be a how to book for first time adventurers it manages to also be one of the funniest books I have read.

-----------------------------------------------------

My final contribution are not books but authors that I know. One is my daughter and the other a close close friend.

First my daughter, N R Tupper and her book "Children of Dreki"

This is a sci fi book about a lady space ship captain and her struggle to escape her past and cement her future.

This is not my preferred genre so I'll leave the reviews to others who enjoy this sort of thing.

One reviewer had this to say about Children of Dreki;

"
The intriguing narration and plot direction build up the suspense nicely, page after page, as Kai tries to lead her crew and two suspicious people, Hawthorne and Ryn, out of Egeria. More problems arise and more secrets are discovered. It’s an engaging read from start to finish. Kai, Mallik, Uri, Haydn, Bristol and Tucker are well-fleshed out characters. This first novel in the Children of Dreki series is worth a read, particularly for lovers of sci-fi, fantasy and dragons. "

Last I'd like to say a bit about my friend Teresa Griffith.

Teresa is an outdoors kinda gal and her books, she has written a few, reflect that.

The book I'll talk about today is one I have a part in, I took the photo on the cover.

This is a book about re-enacting a part of the fur trade life, namely life on a York boat.

An authentic York boat was built and a volunteer crew recruited to run the Peace River from Dunvegan to Fort Vermilion. Every effort was made to duplicate the fur traders experience as closely as possible.

Period dress, period food, period boat. This is the story of that trip from the captain's prospective.

I first encountered the York boat and her crew at Notikenwin Provincial park while out fishing. Up to that moment I knew nothing about the trip, the boat and her crew.

Now I'm close friends with three of the original crew members and my photo graces the cover of this book about that first trip.

As for the book, I think it is a good read but again I am biased.

George Bernard Shaw