View Single Post
Old 07-18-2018, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Coyote View Post
You must have been skimming. One guy killed an antelope at 752 yards with a grendel, the extreme limits of the cartridge, leave it to some guy to do it but reality is it's stomping deer/hogs and more at 350-450 yards like it's no big thing and has been doing so for 14 years now.

On the multi-year thread linked from the 6.5 Grendel forum (called the grendel knock down survey), there were two at least 6' foot 400+ lb plus black bears, 4 caribou, 2 cow elk, about 4 red stags, some big fallow bucks (over 200 lbs), and even an oryx bull...in addition to countless deer and hogs of every size/weight imaginable.

The synopsis that was interesting was the sheer number of either drt's or sub 30 yrd recoveries. The Grendel is the real deal and it supports the math. It's that math i'm trying to show to people so they can compare new cartridges to known. They really do just reduce down to numbers that matter for hunting, you just have to choose the right numbers to compare. S.d./impact velocity/bullet construction...in that order, not headstamps, ft/lbs, caliber.

The 6.5 Grendel is an equal to the .243...straight across. It is more efficient because of it's higher b.c. and s.d. So it may start out slower than the .243 but the .243 slows down so much faster that the Grendel catches it and equals it to the end of their useful impact velocities. AND...the Grendel will out penetrate at distance due to higher s.d.'s...it will also let you practice much further due to those higher b.c.'s, and or, deal with hung up coyotes at distances well past big game distances etc. far better than a .243 will. The .243 is a one trick pony and does it's job very well, i will never slam this cartridge as i do believe it's fantastic, i just see it for what it is. And i also see The 6.5 Grendel for what it is, it matches it and does more....and does it with 20 grains less powder, it is a multi-trick pony, a modern day pony. There's just more you can do with the Grendel, including banging steel reliably to 800. Whatever distance you want to kill anything with a .243, the Grendel will do it to that distance too and then do even better past that distance as the .243 really falls on it's face.

c'mon, be happery john, not angery
All would be happy if you quit pushing that Grendel S--- every day.