View Single Post
Old 06-26-2018, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
The 280 never solved the problem, it's an example of how this client progressed, first thinking he needed the biggest magnum to kill an animal then realizing it's not the cartridge that kills, it's where you put the bullet.

100% it's shooter error, it seems we're on the same side of the fence. I don't need a magnum rifle because I don't intend on shooting any big game animals out past 600yds, and if I have the Creedmoor most likely nothing past 400yds.

A bullets effective range is based on its design so it varies, but my limits are less than whatever cartridge I'm shooting. I think very few people should be attempting to shoot past 300yds because most people don't spend the time behind the trigger to be proficient past that, and that's why I figure the Grendel is a legitimate big game cartridge.

If I ever decided to get into the long range hunting game I'd be looking at an STW, but my long range shooting is limited to plinking and that's where my Creedmoor will shine. Cheap ammo, easy on the shoulder and just flat out fun to shoot. More trigger time means more accuracy, more accuracy means more success in the field.
Just to clarify ... Your LR hunting game is limited to what ? Seems to me you posted a couple of hunting LR kill/lost instances where the distances were well over 300 yds .That might be considered Long Range. .. for some.