View Single Post
Old 06-17-2018, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Like a couple of others said, Value Village is a FOR PROFIT registered business. The only charity thing they do is buy bulk used times at so many cents a pound from charities that collect used stuff and don't have a store to re-sell it. As a business, they must charge and remit GST.

Good Will and Sally Anne are Registered charities. All the money they make, net of operating costs, goes to charity, they do not collect GST.
I think Value Village is kind of a double hit against charities , in that a lot of people donate to them " thinking " that they are a charity for one and secondly as Dean points out , they buy clothing that was donated to actual charities , by the pound.... so for example , someone could donate a 15 lb bag of high end designer clothing vs someone donating a 15 lb bag of ...socks , and VV pays the charity the same amount ( likely the value of the sock bag ) for each bag .

Can you imagine going into a retail clothing store and your purchases are put on a scale at the register to figure out what you owe.

I'm far more in favour of " Goodwill " as ...1/ ...they ARE a charity , and ...2/ what they take in at each store , is sold at that store .

And Yes . No GST