View Single Post
Old 06-12-2018, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidderman View Post
His thought process is pretty simple. If the average difference in velocity is low, say 8fps or so then the premiss is that you have made ammunition that does not vary from one round to the next. If your difference in speed is say 125 fps then something is not consistent. Without consistency it would be harder to have tight groups. Like I said I for one have not gone this far. I am a hunter, not a target shooter so I go for the best group at 100 yards & I call it a day. However if I went for consistency or low SD I might find that getting that one nice load that works really well gives me the confidence on making that one difficult shot. To me shooting is about confidence in what you & your rifle can do time after time. If I have no confidence then my chances of blowing that one shot of a lifetime might be lost. Learning about this stuff to me is like candy. It makes me want to get out & shoot & experiment more. That makes it fun, the way it should be!!!!!
Thank you for that explanation. I now see where your are coming from. I may be wrong but being a hunter I sort of think that higher sectional density may be better for terminal performance even though it may not wring out the best consistency.

What gives me confidence is the ability to hit the kill zone every single time and the confidence of knowing the bullet will do its job when it gets there.

Before the development of some really good hunting bullets I nearly always chose Nosler partitions that really did not have a reputation as being tack drivers. The Nosler partitions never disappointed me.