View Single Post
Old 04-26-2018, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by titegroup View Post
Totally agree, I have a Rem.700 varmint laminated/ heavy barrel .223/ 26". Just yesterday this gun shot .270"@ 100yds/ 3 shot group with a great handload. Is this gun classed as a precision rifle such as the Ruger / Savage/ Mossberg etc. -- no not really, but you can't argue with what the targets tell you, it is a precision rifle no matter how you cut it. I guess if you want to put all bullets in the same hole then .270" is not going to make the grade.
^yep. I guess it depend on one's definition of "precision". I've met guys who have gone the "full Monty" on custom/precision builds and scoff at groups a hair smaller than my best. Maybe the difference is they can do it every time..? I wouldn't know, I shoot for fun...and don't tend to take myself that seriously. To each their own. If you have the cake and want to see what it's all about=whatever blows your hair back. For me, anything under 1/2" @ 100 yards is "precision" in my books, and I've pulled that off with factory guns/triggers and careful work-ups on hand loads. They include;

Savage 10 (.223)
Cooper 51 (.204)
Savage 10 Predator (.243, the most difficult)

most recently..

CZ 527 (17 Hornet)