View Single Post
Old 04-25-2018, 09:40 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhogger View Post
There are people out there WAY, WAY better equipped to answer this question than I am, but I think a couple of considerations might be budget and expectations. My personal experience with my Savage 10 (.223) shooting hand loads is that I am the weak link in the equation. I have pulled-off a few astonishingly small groups (in my opinion ) and that's a factory gun. I have considered looking into whether or not I could put a GRS stock on it, or, one of the aluminum chassis stocks...but to what end? I'm sure there is a benefit, but I could never imagine how a $1,000 upgrade would improve my groups more than more practice would. In fact, I don't think it could.

My most recent rifle purchase was an Anschutz from Nordic Marksman in NS. While poking around their site, I did notice this little gem and honestly...I think it would be an amazing .223 to own/shoot; http://www.nordicmarksman.com/1771-D-GRS-223-REM.html Some people need to feel more involved in their "build" and wouldn't be satisfied unless the barrel/stock/trigger/rail all came from different corners of the globe. Others want the best factory-built option they can get. The only guys I know who "build" their own believe the Savage actions are the most affordable, and easiest to work with.

Hope this helps...but probably not. lol
Totally agree, I have a Rem.700 varmint laminated/ heavy barrel .223/ 26". Just yesterday this gun shot .270"@ 100yds/ 3 shot group with a great handload. Is this gun classed as a precision rifle such as the Ruger / Savage/ Mossberg etc. -- no not really, but you can't argue with what the targets tell you, it is a precision rifle no matter how you cut it. I guess if you want to put all bullets in the same hole then .270" is not going to make the grade.