View Single Post
Old 08-25-2009, 11:27 AM

Thumbs up Great thread!!

I use my .303 brit for all my big game hunting. I got a few of them (all no1 mk3) and even put the synthetic stock on one from Western Gun Parts ($75 i think). I seems like the comb of the synthetic stock is raised a bit more than the old wood stock, but i still like the wood better. There are really nice synthetic stocks at Fabarm.com, (i think).

The synthetic stock has a thick rubber recoil pad, which does help quiet a bit. But really, recoil is no problem as when you shoot at game, recoil is not on your mind anyways, Ive taken it to the range and easily shot 40 rounds with no less than a t-shirt on, and had no issues.

Range effectiveness depends of your ability and where you hunt. I like to primarily hunt in the bush and old grown up clearcuts. So open sights is more to my liking. Really, when your in those types of areas how far can you see?
I like to practice at 100 yds but enjoy the 200 yd milk jug shots to,

The only reason i try to stay within those ranges is that my ability to make a shot that counts farther than that is kinds limited, and im not scared to admit it.

It really saddens me that there is no new guns comming out in .303 brit. Truely a shame.

Ammo for a .303 brit can be got at any canadian tire, walmart for around $25. And i remember a day that any corner store had some, ah those were the days.......... But yeah, ammo is easy to get. I dont know about reloading, as i dont reload. There is Prive Partisan ammo out there as well, and thats what i shoot. It performs really nice for factory ammo, and i filled my tags last year with it. Privi is also a bit hotter and holds up a good inch higher than the Winchester at 100yds. Or atleast it did out of my rifle.

IMHO, 2 guns shaped the way of hunting in Canada, the Lee Enfield (of a few different models), and the Model 84 Cooey. Both of which, if you want meat on the table, is still the go-to-guns thats will git-er-done today.

Again guys, great thread!!!!!