View Single Post
Old 03-12-2018, 06:09 AM

Default pheasant dogs

I hunt half of the year chasing pheasants. I do lots of tournament shoots, and just social hunting with a variety of people and a greater variety of dogs! Most of the dogs are all decent hunters and perform as well in the field, as the owner has put in the time to train them for.
I would start by deciding if you want a pointer or a flusher, and then look at the traits of different dogs. Where do you hunt, and what is the terrain like?
Pick a dog that will suit yourself more for activity level and as a companion. You will have the dog year round, even though you may only hunt for one or two months of the year.
I find that the spaniels are generally a bit more high-strung and needing to run. If you come home every day just wanting to kick back on the couch, you may not want to go this route, as they need to be run lots. Most retrievers are extremely social, and content just to hang around. Keep in mind, THEY ALL START OFF AS PUPPIES, AND WILL NOT LOSE THAT HIGH ENERGY FOR THE FIRST FEW YEARS!!
Other things to take into consideration is the coat. Long haired dogs do tend to gather burs and misc nasties that need attention after each outing. Shedding period will often create tension with the wife! I have a freind with a Visla. Fantastic upland dog, but not super great for really cold weather, and wont go into water past his knees! Are you going to want a multi-purpose dog down the road, like a duck retriever? All things to consider.

I am sure other forum members can add to this list of things to consider

Last edited by oldgutpile; 03-12-2018 at 06:11 AM. Reason: finish