View Single Post
Old 02-12-2018, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatonka2 View Post
Field trials are not hunting.....
I pretty much agree with you on that. When I got my first GSP I joined both of our local clubs hoping to get some tips on training etc. I would usually volunteer for planting birds in the bird field. I knew how many birds were in the field and was a bit disappointed that very few were found. I asked a few of the regulars why that was. The answer I got was that it really was not such a big deal because the dogs were judged mostly on their run.

I once I saw a dog that I thought was pretty good because he actually found birds. When I openly praised that dog a few handlers said that he was just a meat dog and never placed well in the trials. I thought finding meat was the name of the game? I guess not so.

I used to attend most of the pointing dog trials as a volunteer or a spectator and I actually thought most of those were better than the trial dogs.

My first love was the gsp, but I have to say that the Springers sure turned my head. I went to a few trials or tests I am not sure which but nearly all the dog work impressed me. I thought the dogs worked the cover better and found more birds and I think that the selected gunners were far superior in that they killed the birds in a way that better showed the dogs retrieving. They all looked like hunting dogs to me. If it were not for me having a couple gsps that kept me busy I would have started talking to Springer breeders.

Bottom line for me though, is if it is a bird dog, I am in love