View Single Post
Old 01-28-2018, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnielsen9 View Post
I have been biking 5 days a week, into the downtown, for over 10 years. When they took a 4 lane roadway in the conjested downtown and made it a two lane road (plus one for bikes and another for turning lanes), biking to work simply got far too dangerous. I now run 3 days/week and bike 2 days. When I bike, I use roads that do not have death lanes and ride with the traffic so they know where I an and what I am planning to do ( hand signals). Drivers already need to pay attention to other cars and drivers trying to make it through an amber light and pedestrians. The bike lanes add more to look out for since bikers are going both directions in the same lane. i have seen bike vs car accidents in these lanes which is such an obvious consequence of the lack of thought and logical planning.

I do enjoy that the bike lanes are cleared before 5:00am since that gives me a great place to run. Sidewalks ( especially by parks, schools, etc) are often not cleared for days after a snowfall. if you are going to get out on a bike in the winter, part of the experience is getting through the snow. Having these lanes flake free before 5:00 am is rediculous and an example of the wrong priorities.

Definitely respect your outlook on this and the fact that you ride in all types of weather conditions. Hard to respect those that talk down about others way of life especially when it involves being more active and making less of an environmental impact. A cyclist in the winter will always get my respect..