View Single Post
Old 01-21-2018, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTRED View Post
I have pretty good luck glassing south facing open slopes/cutblocks, walking logging roads(especially deactivated roads that grow lots of fresh dandelions and clover) that are clear of snow early, powerlines, and wet areas that get lots of sun and skunk cabbage comes up early. My hunting partner and I head out on the May long weekend for the first backpack trip of the year into a south facing road closure. It has lots of fresh growth both on the roads and cutblocks/meadows by then usually. We set up our camp at snowline and hunt down from there, we've used the same camp now for six years and I also use it for mule deer/elk hunting in the fall. My buddy hasn't seen a big enough one for him to bother packing out but I'm not so picky.
We hunt slowly into the wind(when we can) and glass likely looking openings, spot and stalk hunting. It's a blast since we're really not all that concerned about actually shooting something. Mostly it's a shakedown trip to see how our gear is doing and trying out any new stuff we picked up before fall comes around. I'd really like to be able to get right up into the alpine for one of our spring bear trips but the snowpack around here dictates otherwise. I could probably get into the alpine by the end of June but by then I'm usually too busy with family stuff.
I'm a big fan of spot and stalk bear hunting, not really into sitting in a stand for hours. I know cruising the roads you'll cover more ground and likely see more bears but I just like hiking, especially with my gun. Nothing like being in the mountains in the spring.
Where is here? I’m from invermere originally, have definitely hunted the kootenays