View Single Post
Old 01-19-2018, 09:05 AM

Default Yeti

Hi Randy,
This stuff isn't making a whole lot of sense to me either. There seems to be an agenda that is being pushed with no room for compromise. I support native species conservation and I support closures, where they are warranted... not when they are used as political leverage.

Trout Unlimited Canada supports the closures... apparently they believe the closures are science based; they aren't... they have virtually no data on the Ram/North Saskatchewan River populations and the data they have suggests the population is stable. In my experience, and the experience of many others, its increasing. I could see the Clearwater being at risk, but that's a feeling, not science, and it is a multi-species nightmare that would probably benefit from targeted angling - many tributaries are swarming with brook trout and they will be closed to angling! Doesn't make sense. Both the Backcountry Hunters and Anglers and the Alberta Fish and Game Association oppose the closures and I expect you would find many like-minded people within these groups. Here's a link to the BHA's news release. https://www.backcountryhunters.org/a..._recovery_plan

I would like to see the closures stopped or at the very least, significantly modified before they are enacted. I suggest joining one of the groups opposing the closures and seeing how you can help.

Take care

Dean Baayens

P.S. If you want, feel free to pm me and I can give you some contacts.