View Single Post
Old 01-18-2018, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbadblair View Post
Yeti- Again I think we took away different messages... I heard that they are trying to fix past errors, use science instead of public opinion, and working with industry and other regulators. They actually had a great example of how they restored habitat this very year under this program when asked. All rational efforts that I appreciate. However I agree more work needs to be done, but they are aimed in the right direction.

On the topic of who they are targeting - they explained it pretty well that habitat or closures alone do not fix fisheries. Fish need a rest to recover.. That's where we need to do our part as anglers.

As for other regulators that have a hand in the game, sure they need to be aware of our concerns, however sending emails to AEP for transportation, agriculture & forestry related issues is just going to take the biologists trying to fix our fisheries off the file to respond to emails. Email the right people..

Reading the form letter above it actually sounds like you don't support recovery - is that the message you want to send? Its not the message I would send...
Blair,

I did hear what the bios stated when they said they were working with industry to get them to repair the damage. However, they stated that they are only able to ask them to do so. They can't actually make them do it.

The example they gave was CNRL has repaired a number of smaller culverts upon request. The other example was where the estimate to repair the crossing was $500,000.00. This example was sited with the company may undertake the repair the site, but it would take years as it's expensive.

Not sure how allowing industry to determine when or what they repair is going to fix the big issues causing larger scale fragmentation.

I am ABSOULTELY in support of recovery. I am very concerned that closing a system here and there will put more and more pressure on the remaining systems. What would happen though if our government could mandate which repairs NEEDED to undertaken by industry not base don the companies willingness to do, but by legislation. Make it part of the requirement for exploration in the area.