View Single Post
Old 01-04-2018, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavYak View Post
Two things.

1) For pike I find the bite shuts down once it starts getting dark out regardless of water clarity. Wabamun used to be a great example of this as it is clear water and you could catch 50 pike in an evening after work but soon as the sun went down you would struggle to catch one.

2) Walleye on the other hand can be caught in the dark although I usually find it to be slower. One of the tricks is that they don't stay in the same spot, during the day walleye usually stay in deeper water but once night rolls around they start feeding in the shallows. This fall at Pigeon was a great example, I was fishing my normal drop off spots and catching some fish into the evening and the odd one in the dark but the bite practically shut off. I started heading in and spotted a few sets of glowing eyes in the shallows and they were all over the place in 1-3.

Very true. From my knowledge it’s when the amount of light is dark enough that it gives the eyes a significant advantage over their prey. This can happen at any depth or time of day, but sunrise and sunset are daily.

Another point is fish don’t eat constantly, and I suppose how eventful or successful the dusk dinner is, determines what happens after dark.

I’ve often wondered what impact on fish behavior anglers are responsible. By that I mean we’re a pretty good food source with our tubs of Minnows. Now that biting at a lure isn’t a great way to find a frying pan, they surely key on us.

I think Pigeon’s PP virtual offshore boat parking lot at the drop off, is likely evidence of that. Not like the fish understand the how and why, but I’m sure their aware that there’s tons of pretty shiners there from July to Sept especially. Who knows I guess.