View Single Post
Old 12-30-2017, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elk396 View Post
The problem with drinking and driving is, by the time you are down to punishing the drunk driver, he's already wiped out a family. The damage is done. There is no punishment that will ever equal what he has done.There needs to be a deterrent, I know the current law has stopped me from even having a beer and driving, I don't risk it. It's a difficult one to solve, I agree with some f the arguments on both sides. But personally I don't risk having any alcohol before driving. It's not even about getting caught and getting your walking papers for a year, it's about killing someone and doing hard time for it, living with the guilt and it would ruin you totally. I love a good drink, but just make the old lady drive, lol
By the same token, by the time a murderer is punished, the damage is done. The same applies to many other crimes, but I am not willing to give up all of my rights in order to try and save one life. The anti gun people use the same argument to try and ban all private ownership of firearms. It doesn't matter what offense we are charged with, we should be entitled to our day in court. And if the law specifies that .05 should result in a license being suspended, and vehicles be towed and impounded for a specified time, then it should be up to the authorities to provide an accurate test that proves that the driver was .05 or greater in a court of law. If they are going to tow and impound a vehicle before a trial, then reimburse the person for all related expenses if he is found not guilty. It's not like most people would spend the time going to court over the towing and impound fees, but a person should have that option.