View Single Post
Old 12-19-2017, 08:08 AM

My point of view is that the biggest problem with a certain percentage of society today is self entitlement. Some seem to believe they have the right to access lands to hunt that are maintained and owned by others. Someone living in an apartment in a town or city would be considered crazy if they were to decide they wanted to have a backyard BBQ so they just walked into someone's yard and proceeded to enjoy themselves. Clearly this would be considered trespassing yet some believe they should have the right to access privately held lands to hunt.
Whether or not a landowner grants access is totally up to them and will be based on their set of beliefs and past experiences. If someone does not believe in hunting that is their choice. Differing beliefs and interests are what make the world function. Problems occur when some try to force their beliefs on others with different ones.
As to whether or not paid access should be allowed, I for one, am not in favor. It creates an elitist hunting community and would also create a disproportional amount of hunting pressure across game bearing lands.
I hunt crown lands almost exclusively yet I live in the country and would be able to gain private access easily. I completely understand that we also need those to hunt private land so as to control game numbers in those areas as well.
Additionally, game numbers are still controllable even if all private lands are not accessible. If certain land owners do not allow hunting and their property become a refuge, that's OK with me.
Some have complained about the Suffield cull as not being as it was initially and certain participants not being successful. What has happened there is that as numbers are reduced and the elk have seen pressure the experience has actually turned into more of a hunt than a cull. It requires effort and skill to be successful at hunting and that is the bottom line. Luck also comes into play as well but over the long haul skill will win out.
Reporting poachers and trespassers will help greatly. As in most cases it is a few that ruin it for the majority.
In stead of a gift, maybe offer to fix a broken fence wire or gate. Showing interest in the state of the property will go a long ways with an owner.

Leave things as they are and "Show Respect" to private lands and the owners.......I can guarantee access will be much easier to gain.

Just my 2 cents